Sunday, September 20, 2009

World Travels

It has been a long time since I've been able to get on here. I'm in Brussels, Belgium for Label Expo Europe for work. Over the next week I will share some of mine and Simon's adventures while travelling.

My journey across the Atlantic started Friday, 9/18 at 5:35pm in Redding, CA where I flew in a "puddle jumper" to San Fransisco. From there to San Diego arriving at 9pm. Instead of gettting a hotel I rented a car and headed to the final night of training for this years Chief Selectees. I spent the night motivating and training the Navy's future chiefs. I was able to get a good solid 18 to 19 minutes of sleep in the car before heading back to the airport at 5:30am.

Off to Belgium I go...via Dulles International Airport. I arrived in IAD (Dulles) at 4pm and had a 5:56p departure for Brussels. Simon was due to arrive at 5:05, but was delayed until 5:25...not a lot of time to catch an international departure. I scouted the airport, timed the transit from Simon's arrival gate to our departure gate and awaited his arrival. Simon arrived just in time to make one quick "pit stop" and board our flight to Belgium.

We arrived at 7am local time in Brussels (10pm at home). We made our way through passport control, recovered our luggage and located our reserved Taxi. While in line for passport control we learned that Sunday, 9/20 was the only day of the year Brussels shuts down all the streets of the city to cars (except taxi and bus). Good thing we didn't rent a car. Our taxi delivered us to our hotel and we checked in to our room. Thankfully we have two beds...twin...we were able to push about 3-1/2" apart. Simon's a nice guy and all, but I don't feel like snuggling with him.

Keep posted for "Two Gringos go to Belgium"

No comments:

Post a Comment